View Single Post
September 11th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Heather the Mama Duk
Ani (9th) - Loving school for the most part. Some of the kids in a couple of her classes are a bit rowdy and that annoys her. She LOVES her magnet classes. Her biggest complaint is not enough homework. Weirdo.

Cameron (6th) - He says school is annoying, but that's typical. The teachers absolutely love him. I signed all the stuff for him to be retested so they'll do that over the next few weeks. They are willing to do whatever accommodations I think he needs. My biggest thing is his expected success level due to his intelligence and his actually success level are so far apart. I would like them to be a bit closer. I'm sure they think I am just annoying because he's about average in his classes. But, these are mostly remedial and lower level classes because his reading and writing are behind.

Fritz (2nd) - He is pretty bored. He keeps asking to be homeschooled again, but soon it'll be okay. All the second graders will be tested for the gifted program in a couple weeks. Hopefully he'll do well on that (he's never taken a standardized test in a classroom before so who knows). Right now his teacher is trying to get a handle on the kids' levels. Soon they will have folders with work specific for them. At that point Fritz will be given math worksheets on his level (division). I'm happy they are willing to do that in the regular classroom. His teacher was pretty surprised that Fritz is reading a Magic Tree House book in an hour already. It's only been the last month that Fritz's reading has really taken off. It's always been a little ahead, but math has always been his much stronger point. Now his reading skills are catching up. He's still talking too fast and sticking his tongue out when he talks so I suspect a speech consult is in his future. He's excited about that. He loved going to speech therapy.

Adrian (K) - Kindergarten has been quite an adjustment. His behavior is strongly related to how much sleep he got the night before. He *needs* to be asleep by just after 8. He's memorizing their sight words super fast. His teacher actually asked him if he already knew how to read because pretty much she shows a word and he knows it. He's just really good at memorizing. Soon they'll also have their own reading and math level stuff, too (which is good since while Adrian doesn't know how to read very many words, he's able to do simple addition and subtraction without using manipulatives already). The differentiation within classrooms here is pretty incredible.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside