View Single Post
September 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM
(rebeccabaltimore)
You need insulin. This is not something you can control with diet alone.

How far along are you? Congenital defects occur in early pregnancy. Also, to your baby, it is not your A1C that matters - it is your blood sugars day to day. A1C is a test to tell your doctor how you are doing overall. The minute your sugars start improving, your baby knows it. Stop worrying about the past, there is nothing you can do. Anxiety isn't good for you or your baby, so try to just take it one meal at a time.

The loss of a pregnancy due to diabetic birth defects is rare. Incredibly rare. I know this, because it happened to me. In February 2009, my son was stillborn. He had no kidneys because I was (essentially) type one diabetic. And I did not know it. I am a Type 2 diabetic, very mild normally, unnoticeable really, but when I become pregnant, my pancreas goes offline. It literally shuts down. And I did not know. Your pancreas may not work well, but it still works. I can answer any question you have about this because I have lived through two pregnancies like this. I'm going to ask you lots of questions so I can try and reassure you. But I want you to look at the two babies in my siggy. The little guy, that's Ethan. He's the baby I lost to the diabetes. Isn't he cute? I was about 5 months pregnant when I had him. The other one is Grant, Grant is three now. He knows he has a big brother named Ethan, up in heaven with God. He also knows that mommy does 'ouchies' on her fingers. Grant is the example of what you get when you work hard at your diabetes, and you can do that.

Brittle diabetes is actually not a medically recognized term anymore, although some doctors may use it. It is not used because it implies that there is no clear cause for the extremely large swings in blood sugar. The good news is that there are a lot of reasons for such swings, reasons a doctor can diagnose and manage! That's always the best thing, when they can address part of the problem. Here is a link for you (What Is ‘Brittle’ Diabetes?). My diabetes isn't treatment resistant, but one of my (many) chronic diseases is, and I can tell you it is a pain in the ***, so I hope you can figure out why your sugars are nuts.

Here are my questions:
What was your diet/exercise/insulin intake/blood sugar monitoring like in the months before you got pregnant?
Was this a planned pregnancy?
If not, what method of birth control were you using, if any?
What is your relationship status with the father? Is he diabetic?
What was your alcohol/drug usage like in the months prior to getting pregnant? (Don't worry, I don't expect you to be a nun, I drink alcohol even though diabetics are told not to)
What diabetic medications have you been on?
What were you on (or supposed to be on) around when you got pregnant?
How many episodes of DKA/other emergency hospitalizations have you had in the last few years?
What kind of doctors do you have? Do you have good, crappy, or no insurance?
Do you have an OB or a high risk OB?
Can you tell me more about your previous pregnancy?

Um, I think that's all I have right now. Anyway, I am going to be your buddy and get you and your baby all taken care of as best as an internet stranger can. When you get scared, or worried, or upset, look at the picture my son Grant and know that for him, surviving my horrific diabetes was actually the EASIEST thing for him. If he got through all of the crap my body threw at him, your baby can too.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!