View Single Post
September 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM
(rebeccabaltimore)
The term brittle means "we don't know why you fluctuate so drastically." You're not brittle, because you do know - stress, anxiety, and depression. I can empathize about the psychological stress. I myself am Bipolar type 1 and have an anxiety disorder. I strenuously suggest you take antidepressants while pregnant because your mental issues are making your blood sugar impossible to manage. There are a TON of antidepressants that are safe for pregnancy. Because I have the 'brittle' version of bipolar, I was on 7 different psych drugs while pregnant, none of which affected my son. You absolutely need antidepressants. Yours is not a case of just being depressed, your mood state (and mine too) are affecting your sugars which are DIRECTLY impacting your baby.

150-250 isn't too bad. 150 is fine actually. Take your short acting (mine is humalog). I know what it feels like to want to just give up. I am dealing with that right now with a new MS drug I am taking, it is making me so, so, so sick and I just want to say f$%K it, to hell with the consequences. I'm actually doing that, for one day. Tomorrow I'm not taking the pills, so I can get a break from the side effects, otherwise I'm worried I'll snap and flush them down the toilet. Anyway, I totally get it, the giving up. I wanted to do that so badly sometimes. But I promised my stillborn son I'd keep it together for the next baby, and that worked out. The day my son was born, I splurged and had a coke

You're basically done your first trimester. All congenital defects, if they have occurred, have occurred already. The second and third trimesters are about growing and functioning, anatomical development is usually limited to the first trimester. So you're not going to create a new defect at this point. Now, it's all about helping your baby grow.

Things that are important:
-taking your short acting. You don't want your baby to get all of that post-meal sugar, it can contribute to larger than normal growth
-Keeping hydrated. Sugar ups and downs use up a lot of water. Drink drink drink.
-Checking your ketones. You don't want to be in ketosis while pregnant.
-Staying active. It boosts your metabolism. I was really bad at this.
-Getting enough sleep. It reduces stress levels and depression and makes your body function better.
-Maintaining a good diet. It isn't always easy, I know.
-Don't try to be perfect. It's not possible, and you'll just trip up.
-Get lots of monitoring for your baby. They'll suggest this anyway. If something IS wrong, it helps to know ahead of time.
-Try to do relaxing things.
-remember - babies are tougher than we give them credit for. My son had to survive a lot to get here safely - and he did. You know who does really well after the first week or so of birth? Crack babies. I'm not kidding. Once they detox, they're fine. There were a few in the NICU my son was in (he was in for a little bit) and they were the healthiest babies in there (after my son of course, he was the healthiest by far, and also the nurses' favorite baby).

So take a deep breath. What's done is done, and now you do what we all do - nurture.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!