View Single Post
September 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If it were me, I'd give them my last name! If they grow up wanting his for some reason, I'd pay the $50 or whatever it is to legally change it for them! I've known too many people who have used the fathers last name and then after the father never saw the kid after 6 months, they had a name that only meant abandonment to them. One friend went and legally changed his last name to her maiden name legally to appease her son who was furious about it. The little boy was only 7 and refused to answer to his last name. It was causing all sorts of issues at school.

I wanted to use my maiden name as a middle name for one of our sons. It is used as a first name too, so it wasn't weird. My DH couldn't understand why I'd want to name a child after my father who has never been close to me. I don't associate the name with him, but with my brothers and me as a unit. I named him after my brother instead and it made my DH much happier.