View Single Post
September 16th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The new classes are nothing like the old, and quite frankly, totally ridiculous lamaze classes from the 80's. You may practice deep breathing, but mostly they focus on different pain coping techniques. Massage, pressure points, humming or moaning (which really helps, even though it sounds super weird). Holding your breath causes your body to tense up which equals more intense pain. Birthing classes mainly focus on trying to release the tension and how you can work with your body to help you through the labor process. You might learn positions but it would be more like, how to get into a more comfortable position that allows your body to open with contractions; what to do if your baby is face up or you are having back labor; options to get you through the transition period without pain meds, etc. It's not the silly lay on your back and hyperventilate crap that it used to be. And any class that teaches you to lay on your back and labor I would run from; seriously the worst, most excruciatingly painful position you could ever be in during birth, IMO. I took Birthing From Within classes and I loved them.

Make a pregnancy ticker