View Single Post
September 20th, 2013, 12:14 PM
frequent flier
I know I actually haven't posted on this board in a long time. (Even though I used to be a regular member when I was pregnant with DS #2, and am now planning my second natural home birth). But I came across this article on my FB feed this morning and thought some of you might find it interesting. (Warning -- there's some profanity in the title).

http://muthamagazine.com/2013/09/s-l...-****-ina-may/

The basic gist of it is that natural childbirth does, in fact, hurt like heck, and can be really ugly and messy. That doesn't mean that it's not worth going for, but it does mean that maybe we shouldn't go into expecting sunshine and roses and orgasmic transcendent experiences.

My favorite quote:

Quote:
But I think something has been lost to women everywhere these days between the ”Hook me up with the epidural before I feel a single thing!” camp and the “I shall silently channel my female ancestors and squat down over a pile of sacred leaves” team. I think we are lacking the active cultivation of support between women and a closeness with the reality of life’s ugliest beautiful moments. I now feel more kinship with my grandmother, whose voice lowers, then rises two octaves remembering birthing her five, four of them at home, when she says “Ohhhhh, that pain!” I wish I had held her experience closer instead of thinking that I was going to be above it, to chant it away. That would have been better for me, and more in keeping with how I want to be in life, really. I wish I’d invited my whole broken self into the room.
What do the rest of you think?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)