View Single Post
September 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Super Mommy
Oh wow I loved that article. It about made me cry. My son's birth was easier than that one (I think? Maybe I just don't remember anymore.) but still I absolutely relate to what she is saying. I prepared with hypnobabies. My midwives warned me that I should be willing to take that program with a grain of salt because they had seen too many women feel disappointed with themselves that they "failed" to have a "pain free" labor. My labor was not pain free. It was very fast--just about 2 hours from arrival at the birth center at 5 cm to baby in my arms. It was so indescribably intense. I described it afterwards like riding on the front end of a freight train going 150 miles per hour and all I could do was hold on for dear life. And I DID feel like a bit of a failure for not being perfectly "in control" the whole time. Now I am pregnant with my second and I am trying so hard not to saddle myself with a bunch of expectations about how I should be a better peaceful earth mother next time.

The truth is, I think it's fair to say my freight train labor was just about perfect and so was the one this woman describes. Maybe it can be pain free for some people and good for them, but that's not a requirement. I wouldn't have missed the experience for anything and I'll be doing it the same way, by myself, med free, this time around for sure.

One thing that really stood out for me in this article was how WONDERFUL it was for me to be in a quiet birth center instead of this hospital experience with surly nurses and bright lights and monitors attached and all that. I had nobody there but my husband and my midwife and they both pretty much left me alone and that felt absolutely right. I'd have been yelling my head off at anyone who tried to distract me from the work I was doing or tell me to do it "their way!"