View Single Post
September 24th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I coslept with my first for the first year of his life. He woke up 8-10 times a night for most of that year. There was no way I was going to jump up that many times to grab him out of his crib! So against advice, I slept him with us. Even went more against the rules and kept the pillows and blankets on the bed, haha. I would tuck him in next to me. He slept for many months in the crook of my arm and it worked out great.
Something I did that I though would help guard against suffocation was I made sure that the blanket I used was thick, but not heavy, something that if it fell down over his face it wouldn't be thin and cling to his face, but also not heavy so as to smother him. Something a little more on the stiff side, if that makes sense? And I didn't use a top sheet, since that would be kind of thin and might cling. But if it did cling, it is 100% cotton, and breathable. I think it's a good thing to use cotton bedding, if you can. My little guy always slept better in 100% cotton everything. Less chance of overheating.
If you want to help guard against SIDS, you could also have a fan blowing on low aimed at you so that the air circulates freely. Just some ideas to maybe help you feel better about it.
I loved snuggling my little guy in the crook of my arm, he was my little snuggle buddy. It's a perfectly natural place to be, IMO. You could also invest in a cosleeper bed for him if you're concerned.
If you are a light sleeper, then I don't think there's anything to worry about. I can sleep pretty deeply but put a kid in bed with me, and I wake up every time they turn over! Your mommy instincts can kick in even in your sleep.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12