Topic: MerinSun
View Single Post
September 26th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes! I use Jan Andrea's pattern:

Jan Andrea at home on the web

Here are the pleats:

Jan Andrea at home on the web

I learned after making like 5 of them that you only need to hem the sides and one short edge. Pleat the other short edge, sew a basting line a bit down and then trim the excess at the top to make an even edge. Then do a faux serge on the raw edge. When you're pleating you can never keep a straight line, this makes it more tidy. Sadly Kerri has a sling by me before I discovered this trick, lol. If i could, I'd fix it for her now.

What you want is a linen or similar durable material that is bottom to medium weight. I think 5.3oz? Not sure. Hancock's has 100% linen in the correct weight that you can make a single layer sling in, but make sure you talk to the associates because I've made the mistake of purchasing a top weight linen instead. You can also use pique (what i made Kerri's out of). It is very durable but is also more thick.

I bought my rings from SlingRings:
SlingRings.com

I highly recommend them! Very inexpensive and they ship FAST. The cost is per set, not for each ring.

You want your sling to be 27"-30" but you can go as low as 24". There is also a babywearing group on Facebook that you can join and post your questions . Jan Andrea is a mod there so you can ask the master on it!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!