View Single Post
September 27th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't have any family close by, so I don't have to worry about it as much, but I can relate to how you feel about it, I think. I can be such a people-pleasing pushover. It's hard for me to know how to be bolder, because I do care how I am perceived, more than I should care. So reading everyone's advice here was good for me, too, for when it inevitably does come up.

I was leading a meeting at church a few weeks ago (a weekly thing - not a special event or anything), and Sammy had fallen asleep on my shoulder. (Church is 3 hours long, so he always falls asleep at some point while we are there.) A friend asked if she could hold him so I wouldn't have to. I told her that I didn't know if he would stay asleep, but I handed him off anyway, even though I didn't really want to and I knew he would be better off staying asleep on my shoulder. And he woke up right away. So I decided that, from now on, I needed to be braver to do what I know is better for him. Then a couple weeks ago we were at a different event, and my friend kept taking him from me or my husband. Eventually he fell asleep on my shoulder, and when she tried to come take him again, I told her I needed to keep him because he was asleep. I still felt bad and hoped I hadn't hurt her feelings, but I was glad I had decided in advance what I would do in that situation, because it made it a lot easier. And I don't think I came off rude or anything.