View Single Post
September 30th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Ok I'm going to be brutally honest because I wish someone would have been with me with my first. In the beginning, breastfeeding is HARD!!! BUT, is soooooooo worth it!! I have 2 kiddos. My first I breastfed for 5 days and then gave up due to lack of knowledge and support. I don't think it's too early at all for you to start seeking out support and information. My second (he's almost 11 weeks) is breastfed and it's going great! I was much more knowledgeable this time around and more determined.

I really don't want to scare you, I just want you to be prepared. The first 6 weeks are the toughest. Your nipples are going to hurt while they are toughening up. Work with a Lactation Consultant to be sure baby has a really good latch so hopefully you can avoid cracked nipples. I had one nipple that did great and never cracked and the other cracked and bled for probably 6 or 7 weeks. It took so long to heal because my son would re-open the sore every time he nursed. We are about 11 weeks in now and it's such a breeze! Like I said so so so so worth it! Just know that if it hurts the first weeks, if baby wants to eat all.the.time (and I literally mean all the time), if you feel like giving up, that's ALL normal! Just keep at it and I PROMISE it will get better.

So about the baby eating all the time. My best advice with a feeding schedule is, don't have one! Don't look at the clock. Don't worry about how long baby is feeding on each side for or how many hours, half hours, minutes it's been since the baby last ate. Basically anytime she cries those first few weeks just feed her. They nurse so much in the beginning because they are working on building up your supply. Wants your supply is established and established well you will notice baby starting to feed on more of a schedule.

I personally don't think one bottle is necessarily better than another. Some babies will only take to one kind of bottle (that would obviously be trial and error) where as some babies will take any bottle. We use Dr. Brown for my son only because that's what we had for my daughter and I just kept them and bought new nipples this time around.

I started pumping once a day when Jax was about 3 or 4 weeks old to build up a stash for when I go back to work (this week boo!). I just picked a time of day where I knew I would be home at that time everyday and pumped then. For me it worked out to where after his first feeding of the day, sometime between 6-8am, I would pump whatever he didn't drink and freeze it.

Ok I'll quit rambling now! Haha! Ask any questions you have!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!