View Single Post
October 3rd, 2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
A LOT of reasons.

For myself - I don't see the point of going to a hospital full of sick people to do what I can do in the comfort and safety of my home. There is definitely a comfort aspect of it - freedom to move and be an active participant in the birth, no random strangers coming in and out, no machines or needles, being able to sleep in my own comfortable bed after. On the safety side of things -Less risk of postpartum infections, less interference in the normal labor and postpartum events (such as pelvic exams and breastfeeding), lowered risk of cesareans and other labor interventions, no potential side effects from labor drugs. That said, I do feel it is important to have a good qualified midwife (or in rare cases OB) attending the delivery so that you can be transferred immediately in the event of a problem. Midwives do carry resuscitation equipment and medication that may be needed in cases like postpartum bleeding.

There are probably more reasons than that if I really sat down and thought it all out, but that covers the basics. I missed out on a homebirth this time around because of medical problems. It makes me sad but ultimately you have to do what you are comfortable with and what you feel is healthiest for you and your baby.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!