View Single Post
October 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Super Mommy
Emily Oster's new book Expecting Better has a great chapter about why she chose natural birth. There is absolutely zero anything "crunchy" about her. Of course the book is not really about the process of birth, more her research and her decision based on scientific data that an intervention free birth was healthier for her baby and herself. She birthed in a hospital with an OB and she does tell her birth story. You can run down to barnes & noble and find her book and read that chapter in about 15 minutes.

Personally my experience has been that the women I know who do natural childbirth are just regular people. Certainly I consider myself fairly ordinary. My midwives are not "oovy groovy earth mothers" as my husband would say, they are professionals who know a LOT about women's health and birth. I definitely roll my eyes at some of the new agey spiritual stuff. But you have to take it with a grain of salt--a lot of that stuff was written in the 70s and there are plenty of regular women's stories out there too, even in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, which has some really loony ladies in it as well. Try naturalchildbirthstories.com--I discovered that one recently.

Really I don't think you NEED to read a bunch of stuff to be well prepared. The only things you really need to know in advance are that it's a good idea for yourself and your child, it's the normal, not the exceptional, way to have a baby, and you can do it! Having a provider whose style you like and who you trust is the key.