View Single Post
October 4th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I would probably not be comfortable being that far away. My personal comfort zone is 20-30 minutes from a hospital. I have heard of moms staying in a hotel or renting a house for a few weeks or a month around delivery time to have a "home" birth while still having access to a hospital if needed.

I've actually done just about every kind of birth: Hospital, free standing birth center, home, and cesarean!

With my home birth we lived 4 blocks from the hospital. I decided on home because after my first two births (including a freestanding birth center) it felt silly to GO somewhere to do what I could just do at home. After my birth center delivery I felt sort of awkward and almost like I went out of my way - like going to a grocery store in another town instead of the one down the street. For my fourth, we live 15 minutes from either of two hospitals, so it was in my comfort zone for time. Also, shortly after my second was born the only birth center in my town closed. So there was no other choice besides home or hospital - and I wanted another water birth which was not an option a the hospital.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!