View Single Post
  #4  
October 16th, 2013, 09:03 AM
SkyBaby SkyBaby is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseGal View Post
I'm a hopeful VBAC this time as well. I can tell you from what I have learned that there is only a 1% chance of you rupturing. Especially if you have a low transverse cut "bikini cut", which is usually whats done now and what I had done.

Here is what the class I took at my hospital told me.

If your c-sec was due to "less likely repeatable" reason, where it wasn't due to having small hips or failing to progress etc. Then your chances for a successful VBAC are high. My hospital has an 80% success rate. They told me they treat patients like any other mom except VBACs are required to have continious monitoring, must have an IV line put in and should come in earlier and labor longer in the hospital. All just to be on the safe side. From what it sounds like, they reason for the extra measures is because if you do rupture, it's likely to be a large one. But it is still very very rare.

So your decision should be based on what YOU feel comfortable with. It sounds like your DR is pro c-section, but that doesn't mean you have to be.
My OB told me I have a small pelvis, but I don't think so. She was poorly positioned and at 9 pounds. Not huge, but not tiny either. I was also on my back the whole time, both labor and pushing. I think he said officially my reason for a csection is failure to progress, but that's only because I got the epidural. It took me 28 hours to go from nothing to dilated to 4-5 but in the hour and a half I had to wait for the epidural, my body took off and went all the way to 7. To be honest, I did need it to sleep (28 hours of hard work on 2 hours of sleep doesn't help anyone). The epidural stopped my progress and I wasn't having anymore contractions or maybe I was but they were too weak, so "needed" the pitocin. The typical cascade of interventions. My DH says my labor stalled before the epidural, but no I was in pain and dilating right up to that point.

I'm not going in right away. There's no way I could focus enough to get through that being in a hospital. Hospitals are anything but relaxing. I'm going to be in a hotel room near the hospital, within 10 minutes. If all goes well, I wont show up until I'm well into transition. DH is ok with that, too.

My OB left it completely up to me to schedule either at 39 weeks or 40 but that his suggestion was 39 weeks. Because of that, DH is adamant about me scheduling at 39 or 39 and a few days. I really wish DH didn't have a medical background sometimes lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
To be brutally honest it doesn't sound like he's supportive of your VBAC at all. It sounds like he's already switching bait and trying to get you to schedule an unnecessary early c-section. Even having a c-section scheduled for your exact due date is bogus to me coming from a "supportive" OB on this topic. Your body has got to have the freedom to do its thing! If it were me I would continue to push back, stand your ground and fight for your VBAC. Truthfully I'd also demand that he be on my side and readdress what it is YOU want in this birth experience. If you're not high risk and baby is fine thent here is no reason for him to be talking about how risky a VBAC is to you when he initially said he was on board. No factors have changed in the game so he needs to get back on board.

This was my *biggest* fear when looking for a Dr. to do my VBAC - that I'd find one that said oh yea, no problem...but towards the end or even on my delivery day they'd completely switch their tune and push me into an unnecessary c-section again anyways. My son was born 3 days after his EDD and I had a 100% natural, safe and successful VBAC. What if my providers had pushed me into a c-section on my exact due date? Then I would have been robbed of that experience I wanted so badly! Consider the factors and fight for what you want as long as YOU are comfortable with it!
My OB left it up to me to schedule at all or to decide if I want to do it at 39 weeks or 40 weeks. He fed me the usual garbage of things getting more dangers and blah blah blah. He's not the one I have to really convince though. Trust me, I'd rather not schedule this at all and only have the csection if I need it. He did my csection with DD and his personal thing is he prefers to be the one to deliver his patients, even if he's not the OB on call.

It's my DH that's standing firm on this and he who will be the hardest to convince. I really wish he doesn't have a medical background sometimes. He wants to blindly trust the OB's suggestions and not look at it from any other way. DH told me "All that matters is a healthy baby." None of my other family are supportive of me even trying. They all think both me and the baby are going to die. At least DH is fine with me going into labor and trying again if I am lucky enough to go into labor before the csection. He is adamant about scheduling the csection at 39 weeks and a few days. That's the longest he will "let" me wait. He's the tougher hurdle here.
__________________
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.




Reply With Quote