View Single Post
October 17th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Super Mommy
First off, congratulations! What a fun story with a delightfully unexpected twist getting ready to join you!

I agree with the other poster that babies don't have to be super expensive. It really is going to come down to what you're core beliefs and life goals are. We have decided not to have college funds for our children because we believe, after considering our own college and that of friends, that they will value college much more if they are working to pay for it themselves. We will help out in other ways. We do, however, pay for private school for them. It's a big financial sacrifice, but one we find well worth it. Assuming you have only one child, even private school won't be that challenging to squeeze into the budget if that's what you want. As for other areas, adding one person to the family won't change much of your financial plans and goals. It would be a good idea to meet with a financial planner to talk about things like life insurance and such. But honestly, we're making it on one income with several already in private school and still saving for retiremen, and we have six kids, so I know you'll be fine.

As far as a job goes, I say feel free to look around and get some interviews. Employers and prospective employers can't ask about pregnancy, and of course you're not obligated to mention it. If something amazing lands in your lap, great. If not, stick it out where you are for now, and then you can leave after your maternity leave. It might be annoying to stick it out, but at the same time it gives you a very specific, 'just have to make it until' date. I guess I would lean towards telling you to stay for now, enjoy maternity leave, and reevaluate then. See if you can make it work to stay home for a few years to give your baby your 100% if that appeals to you when the time comes. Which leads to my next point about housing. Where you work and your situation will be a big factor in the housing thing. Staying home, working from home, or working close to home might make it pretty easy to do what you're doing currently. If your little cutie has a very stable routine with lots of parental attention then a weekend at a different home won't be a big deal at all. If things are hectic and chaotic with back-and-forthing to daycare and such then it might just be one more annoying and disruptive thing to deal with. It's hard to know. But while a studio apartment with a baby is super no big deal, a studio with a bigger child will be pretty challenging. For example, when it's time for your 6 month old to go to bed, the lights have to go out or he or she won't sleep.

Anyway, you have lots of time to work out the details, and I can tell from your post that you have a cheery sense of humor which goes such a very long way in this crazy ride of parenthood!