View Single Post
October 17th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I make sure my other children are occupied before I move on to a child who needs focused attention. I have also been working to teach my younger children to wait for me to be available, as I cannot just drop everything at their beck & call at all times. It just doesn't work. My littlest is (almost) 1yo, and plays well at my feet. My 3yo sometimes wants to do school, sometimes doesn't, and REALLY plays well without much guidance. My 5yo is learning how to work more independently. I can assign her a section of penmanship or phonics and walk away for most things except math and reading! Those are 100% focused time.

With my 3yo, the ONLY time I do anything schoolish is if he asks, and my plan for next year is the same-- I'm not sure I'm going to get him anything beyond what I have for my daughter for next year. We will be using The Weaver Curriculum, so he can combine into the kindergarten goals when he wants to (or needs to if it is a field trip) and when he isn't interested it doesn't matter. K4 isn't a grade really anyway. Childhood is so short, they deserve time to play and enjoy being a kid.

Actually, this year we are using a living literature approach (a pseudo Ambleside Online "Year 0.5"), and my 3yo likes to listen to most of the books we are reading most days as well, so I already combine him into my 5yo's schooling plans.

Cleaning happens with the kids involved-- they are responsible for loading the washer (they can't reach the dryer-- they are stacked), washing dishes (they think this is a game or something-- they volunteer!!!), clearing the table, sweeping the floor, picking up toys, tidying their room, and putting their clothing away. The baby kind of wanders along and helps when she feels like it (and hinders the rest of the time, hehe). When I need to keep the baby out of things so we can be more successful, or because she is being particularly fussy, I put her in my Ergo or other carrier/wrap for a while and get things done that way.