View Single Post
October 18th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE angry uterus View Post
We learned the alphabet by reading Dr. Suesse's ABCs over. and over. and over. and over. My oldest knew her alphabet by 18 mo. I didn't think she was even paying attention when I was reading it. She would often just wander around the room playing and I would just read aloud to keep myself entertained. Maybe he just needs more 1 on 1 time? HAve you tried pointing out letters that start with his name? Like "Look! There's the letter G. GEORGE starts with G." or "C - CAT. C." With my first she brought it to my attention when we went to a store and she said "G!" and pointed. I was like "What???" And sure enough, the store started with a letter G! I was blown away at that point and had to figure out what else she knew but I didn't think she knew, lol.
Ditto this. I never think my daughter is paying attention to our books, or when I am teaching her things, as she is so busy and all over the place...but then, at the most random times, she will show that she's learned, and I realize she does in fact absorb everything...!

I personally think that having little playgroups are very beneficial. Is there any way you can get him together with other kids his age, or a little older, to have playtime? My daughter learns SO much from the kids at her daycare (and even some things I am not so thrilled about, lol).

And don't beat yourself up. I don't think I really knew my ABC's by the time I started school (at least I don't remember it). I clearly remember the teacher teaching us those things, and reading the big ABC banner across the room. Kids are very quick learners. He'll surprise you!