View Single Post
October 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM
Hi, I'm Tiffani!
While I did have a few issues this time around, I would have to say that this c/s was definitely more "empowering" than my last experience. With my first son, I was heavily drugged, and like you, I don't remember much. I barely remember them holding him up to me, or DH holding him, something I could not do since I was completely strapped down with an oxygen mask. I was out of it for days and it took me about a week and a half to recover. I had PPD or the baby blues, or whatever you want to call it, with DS, and I really think it was due to the lack of contact between us, and being so drugged that I barely remember the first few days. It was difficult to BF, even though we accomplished it, and every day was hard for a long time.

This time around, I knew I was going to have a section, which I think was helpful, so I could mentally prepare myself. Also, a lot of hospitals are offering more "mom centered" c/s experiences. During my section, which was less than two weeks ago, I had no oxygen mask, I was NOT tied down (which makes a world of difference in my opinion) and we were allowed to have skin to skin time while I was being sewn up and during recovery. I was given a demerol drip, which took the edge off of the pain but didn't make me delirious. I remember everything and was able to bond quickly. It was a MILLION times better than my first experience. The first few days were difficult recovery wise, which is to be expected, but I feel like I was treated like a human this time, instead of being tied down and unable to speak.
My advice, is to mentally prepare for your section as best you can. I think that it can seem worse before you're actually in the midst of it. Also, talk to your doctor about the procedure, medicines they use for pain, possible skin to skin time, etc. Just because you're having a section doesn't mean you can't have a birth plan. Explain to your doctor what your expectations are, and if they can't work with you, move on!
I sincerely wish you luck and a HH9M!