View Single Post
October 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanta.number2 View Post
While I did have a few issues this time around, I would have to say that this c/s was definitely more "empowering" than my last experience. With my first son, I was heavily drugged, and like you, I don't remember much. I barely remember them holding him up to me, or DH holding him, something I could not do since I was completely strapped down with an oxygen mask. I was out of it for days and it took me about a week and a half to recover. I had PPD or the baby blues, or whatever you want to call it, with DS, and I really think it was due to the lack of contact between us, and being so drugged that I barely remember the first few days. It was difficult to BF, even though we accomplished it, and every day was hard for a long time.

This time around, I knew I was going to have a section, which I think was helpful, so I could mentally prepare myself. Also, a lot of hospitals are offering more "mom centered" c/s experiences. During my section, which was less than two weeks ago, I had no oxygen mask, I was NOT tied down (which makes a world of difference in my opinion) and we were allowed to have skin to skin time while I was being sewn up and during recovery. I was given a demerol drip, which took the edge off of the pain but didn't make me delirious. I remember everything and was able to bond quickly. It was a MILLION times better than my first experience. The first few days were difficult recovery wise, which is to be expected, but I feel like I was treated like a human this time, instead of being tied down and unable to speak.
My advice, is to mentally prepare for your section as best you can. I think that it can seem worse before you're actually in the midst of it. Also, talk to your doctor about the procedure, medicines they use for pain, possible skin to skin time, etc. Just because you're having a section doesn't mean you can't have a birth plan. Explain to your doctor what your expectations are, and if they can't work with you, move on!
I sincerely wish you luck and a HH9M!
I don't think I'll ever not be nervous about surgery. I don't want to have another panic attack on the operating table either. I really don't know how to deal with it either. I'm sort of going back and forth between being excited at seeing him and dreading the surgery at the same time. Part of me would rather just be knocked out, as in knocked out until I'm home and out of the hospital entirely lol. I know that's not possible. I also know I'd regret not hearing his first cries. I'm not sure I want to remember the experience in the OR better than DD's because it is major surgery. :/ I freaked out and had to turn the channel during a birth show when the mom's csection came on. I'd be a basket case when my time comes. I want to remember seeing him and hopefully being focused on him more than I was on DD. I wasn't drugged with DD, I was just so out of it from 44 hours of labor and barely 5 hours of sleep in that period of time.

The physical recovery was not that bad for me. I was well beyond the realm of sore, being in full blown pain as bad or worse than any contractions I experienced. That kind of pain though only lasted a few days. After I was taken off the stuff they gave me in the hospital (non narcotic as I kind of wig out on that), I only took motrin and was off all pain meds 9 or 10 days post op, but remained achy until about week 4, similar to how you feel after a hard work out and you're not already in shape.

It's not that I have bad physical reactions to this stuff. It's just in my mind. I don't know how to deal with it because for starters, no one around me really takes it seriously. I didn't know how I was feeling was common until I started reading the csection and vbac boards here and googling disappointment after csections.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.