View Single Post
October 21st, 2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the great thoughts. The panic is wearing off and we're going into planning mode.

The budgeting advice is helpful for daily spending. I'm also wondering about things like life insurance, long term care insurance, deductibles, etc. I never really worried too much about these things because I didn't have any kids. Oh, and did I mention that we also have to buy a car because our one vehicle is a pickup truck? Anyone got any advice on growing a money tree???

Random567-thank you so much for your comments. We too are struggling with this one. We are big mountain bikers and wine drinkers and that's having to take a hiatus for now. But, my advice to you on this one is think about the day you can share your passion with your child. That keeps me excited (at least with the mountain biking...it's going to be a looooooong time before I will share my wine passion with this kid). Also, some people may think my next point is a little callous but I think you should continue to do the things you love, even if there is a small risk to the child, especially if it's going to make you depressed to quit your activities. Emphasis placed on "small" risk. For example, my doc told me not to ride a bike because of the risk of falling and hurting the baby. My response is that I only ride easy trails now and don't fall. I've been doing it long enough that I can keep myself from falling. Yeah, there are always freak accidents that can happen but that can happen anytime. Just be reasonable with what you do. With bikes, there will come a day when our bellies will make it impractical (and probably too dangerous) to ride but until then, I say ride on if you know you won't fall. I would probably steer clear of the racing until after the baby is born though.

Last edited by GoWithIt; October 22nd, 2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Original post posted before it was finished