View Single Post
October 25th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Even though this is an old wive's tale I think it does have a basis of truth as do a lot of old wives tales. I had two cats when pregnant with my first child. My great grandmother who had been a mid wife told me I had to get rid of them for this reason. I didn't, but made sure they knew the crib was off limits just as they knew the dining table was, the kitchen counters and the furniture. Years later I found out how this wives tale might have came to be because it happened to me. One of my cats was cuddled up with his nose in close proximity to my nose. After a bit I couldn't breathe. There was a very unfamiliar feel and slight smell about the "air" I was trying to breathe.I pushed the cat away in the effort to get up and find help and I was immediately able to breath. What I determined was possibly just like us they breathe in oxygen and emit carbon dioxide. He was in such proximity that I wasn't getting oxygen to breathe but carbon dioxide which I couldn't breathe. I had had cats for over 30 years and nothing like that had ever happened to me before. I presume at some point back in the day some cats had gotten close enough to some babies to smell and lick the milk or just cuddle and probably because back a long time ago paregoric was liberally used for teething, a lot of crying, presumed stomach ache, etc which really just drugged babies (and no longer available over the counter) into sleep so they would possibly not have responded to not being able to breathe because they were so drugged. Although I think it is one chance in no telling how many millions there is a slight chance that a baby is asleep or doesn't fuss and move around away from such proximity that it could happen. The cat doesn't take the baby's breath away just gets so close to not only a baby but also an adult that when we try to breathe there is no oxygen but carbon dioxide.