View Single Post
November 1st, 2013, 01:23 PM
It's your life, not your mother's. If she's that religious don't forget to remind her of the importance of love and forgiveness.

My opinion of the marriage thing is Americans enter into it too lightly and divorce is too common and accepted. All marriage is is a legal contract been two people-it's not a requirement to love and support each other. Don't rush into marriage because of a baby - you can register as domestic partners and have legal contracts drawn up to address the important legal issues (like what happens to the baby should one of you die, etc.). Marriage gives both people the rights to certain assets of the other person so you may not want to enter into that contract before knowing your BF is deserving.

My "BF" and I have been together for 13 years, we own property together and built a house together. I say quote BF because we actually eloped 6 years ago (for reasons far too complicated for this posting). We haven't told anyone so, as far as my family is concerned we are not married. BUT, he's been around so long that they consider him family (my parents refer to him as their son-in-law and my nephews call him uncle). Anyway, that's just my story but wanted to share an alternative view of marriage wih you.