View Single Post
November 6th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Regular
Breastfeeding is something I'm extremely passionate about, but I understand why it isn't every woman's choice. What I don't understand is when a woman makes this choice before their baby is born. When I worked within midwifery I came across some women that were adverse to breastfeeding, who thought of their breasts as something sexual and couldn't seperate this in their minds (this is just a common reason I've come across). However some of these women upon giving birth to their babies felt it was something natural and continued BF for a long time. I don't see how people can make a decision until they have had their baby, thoughts and feelings change. I think women should be open to anything. Even if a woman does not want to continue breastfeeeding I would say 99% of women do give their newborn their first feed from the breast, colostrum is better than any vaccine we can give to a baby and better than any medicine for premature babies. Whenever I have gone in depth with a woman the benefits of colostrum alone for just one feed, almost all women give at least one feed before deciding whether or not to continue.