Topic: Pumping Q
View Single Post
November 8th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For the OP you defiantly can use just a manual pump for occasional pumping infact some women even respond better to manual pumps & are able to express more. these are 2 that should be pretty easy to find are about $30 and have some of the best ratings.
Amazon.com: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump: Baby
Amazon.com: Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump, 1-Count: Baby
Keep In mind though that your situation might change While some ppl never need to pump and some ppl use a manual every couple weeks any number of issues could crop up making frequent or even exclusive pumping necessary if you still want to provide your own BM.

my son was born early and a combination of hospital stay weak suckle and poor latch meant I Exclusively pumped for months before we even got to experience traditional breastfeeding where he actually transferred a sufficient amount of milk while my SIL is battling recurrent mastis and is pumping to try and alleviate the issue......so even a SAHM may end up a pumping mom for any number of resons

While you certainly can use a manual if this happens (once upon a time there was no option) doing so every 3 hours can get quite exhausting (especially if like me for 4 days you happen to only have the bicycle pump style one the hospital provides because your cheapy single electric NUK pump burned out from over use after only 7 days and its the middle of the pay period so your broke) so you may want to consider having something nicer to start with our an emergency fund that you can use on other baby things or to treat yourself if it ends up not being an issue.

to CYN Id personally suggest one of these 3 for regular use

Amazon.com: Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with On the Go Tote: Baby (this is what I used and had no problems pumping exclusively with...... you will need to do occasional maintenance but its super easy trim the tubes replace the membrains the most annoying part of the pump is the cleaning membrains between sesions IMO)

however iv been looking into open vs closed system pumps alot Open Systems vs. Closed Systems (the medela is an open system)
the 2 that follow are some of the top recommended closed system pumps.
EnJoye
Amazon.com: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump: Baby
I personaly will be useing my PIS agin cuz lets face it I allready have it and they are expensive lol but its something worth looking into (I wanted to add that from what iv seen personal for the most part if properly cleaned and maintained quality open system pumps rarely do get contaminated)

for all partys be sure to check with your insurance although things are probly a bit differnt for those not in the states the new regulations here mean many insurance providers now cover breast pumps How to Get Breast Pumps Covered by Insurance - iVillage so be sure to call in and check on that.

Last edited by NewGurl; November 8th, 2013 at 12:26 AM.