View Single Post
November 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
GRRRRRRRRRR...I don't mean to step on any toes here but this is something that bugs the crud out of me.

A friend of mine just had her baby yesterday and has already supplemented at the recommendation of the hospital. Now I am not saying any of this as a reflection of her etc I am just really curious and upset that so many hospitals seem to be clueless about breastfeeding and being supportive to mothers and not making the process harder by not being educated on the topic. This is exactly what happened to me the first go around and once he got a bottle it was over. They said he needed it because he wasn't latching properly and needed to eat yada yada at less than 24 hours old.

So tell me what has been your experience with this?

The reality is that babies are designed to breastfeed and barring any medical issues they are designed those first few days to breastfeed and use the small amount of colostrum that the mother produces yet mothers are constantly being told they need to supplement that first day because they are not making enough milk...of course they are not! Your milk doesn't normally come in for 2-4 days. And then when they are told to supplement they go for a bottle which in most cases makes it harder for a baby who is already having issues with latching etc.

It frustrates me to no end. They are making it worse not being helpful and when the mother comes home she is stuck with a newborn who now in some cases won't latch and refuses the breast because they have had the easy access of formula through a bottle because the hospital doesn't understand breastfeeding and sadly some lactation consultants are doing this as well. On top of that some don't encourage the mother to pump and still offer the breast to the baby which is what stimulates your milk and starts your supply/demand cycle (this is what happened to me!).

So after all this ranting...is your hospital supportive of breastfeeding and knowledgeable about the process? How would you handle this situation?