View Single Post
November 13th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Super Mommy
DS will be 4 months in a few days and he has had nothing but breast milk since birth. I am on maternity leave for 1 year so since I am at home with him all day long, I am able to nurse him whenever he wants. I have a breast pump which I use to pump milk for those times where I have to get out of the house alone for appointments or when I am out and about with DS in public places. I introduced DS to the bottle when he was 3 weeks old and there were never any problems switching back and forth.

This weekend, I was out and about quite a bit so DS had more bottles of breastmilk than usual (like maybe 4-5 bottle feedings in the span of 2 days). Since yesterday, he has been getting too impatient to nurse. He latches on for 1 second, then unlatches and screams and cries. Then he gets so mad he won't latch on at all and just cries and cries with big tears rolling down his face. I know it's not a milk supply issue because I am able to pump without any problem. It's painful to see him cry like that, knowing that he's hungry, but I don't want to cave and give him a bottle because I don't want to be put in a position where I'm pumping exclusively. Today, on two occasions, it took me about 45min before he finally gathered enough patience to latch on and feed like he normally does.

Here are the things I've already tried:

- breastfeeding in different positions including lying on my side with him in a dim room with some white noise (he was screaming and crying so I was trying to calm him down enough to latch on)
- "tricking" him by touching his lips with the tip of the bottle and then putting my nipple in his mouth instead (there was no fooling him!)
- pumping 1 oz of milk with my breast pump so that when he latched on it would flow more easily (didn't work)
- doing skin-to-skin (that was actually the most helpful)

Does anyone have any other tips or advice? I'm at my wits end!

Last edited by Jessifer; November 13th, 2013 at 10:43 PM.