View Single Post
December 4th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Veteran
I just kept ds1 home from school when he had pertussis and treated it the same way I would the flu because it wasn't bad enough to warrant a doctor bill we couldn't afford. It took a long time for him to get better and whoever it was that parents were supposed to call when their kid was sick sounded kind of nasty on the phone towards the end, but he still graduated on time and his grades were good enough for the Army.

He's vaxed, but it didn't work.

My girls both had convulsions from the live pertussis vaccine that CDC recommended in the late '80s, so my ped refused to give it to ds1 but agreed to the "experimental Japanese vax" that is standard now because I was so stressed out about someone accusing me of "medical neglect" for not vaxing.

Yep, bleeped if you do, bleeped if you don't and somebody's going to get angry at you if you talk about it.

What you're doing is okay, Sassalota, and there are plenty of other parents out there who are doing the same thing. You might have better luck with a family practitioner than a pediatrician and naturopaths can handle a lot of well child care if you can afford one.