View Single Post
December 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have been a nanny in the past, and I would say that probably talking to 2-3 references in detail about the potential nannies is the most important thing. I mean, obviously talk with the nanny candidates, and meet and/or Skype with them to get a feel for how they are with you and with your kids, but I kind of feel like anyone can fake anything for 1-2 hours. Also, watching them interact with your kids may not really give you an accurate view of what they'd be like on their own- I know I always felt kind of awkward when the parents were around, but was totally at ease with just the kids. It's really getting a great feeling from people they've worked for in the past that will tell you the most about them.

Also, when I was a nanny, I always did things however the parents wanted, and I worked for a cloth diapering, totally organic, baby signing, 100% AP family at a time when I knew nothing about those things. I would think that any nanny would follow your wishes if you make it clear how you want them to handle specific types of situations. But that confidence will probably come from getting a great feeling about them in general.

Good luck with your search!