View Single Post
December 7th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a huge fan of Dr. Mary Hood's writing. I kind of freaked out at the beginning of my DD's first grade year (last fall). For one thing, I thought homeschooling was some secret society where there were rights and wrongs and tacit agreements. And for another, I was afraid that if I didn't "look" like were were home"schooling," then one of the many public education employees in my church might report me. And on top of those, I worried over whether puzzles *really* counted as math for a 6 year old and did that count toward the state's attendance requirements?

Note: how *I* personally think is totally different than all the above concerns. I just let fear of what *everyone else* MIGHT think completely crowd out my own thoughts and inclinations. Our state changed its reporting laws this year, thankfully. And I discovered that the people at church really aren't much interested in what we do. And there is no secret homeschool handshake or certain way of thinking or doing anything. What is most important really is simply what I (and DH!!) think and what my family needs. I don't know if that's nagging at all, but I had to share, just in case it helps someone else avoid all that horrible stress.

I have a personal aversion to external oversight, especially governmental. So I was never tempted to do their program. To me it's like telling them I won't send my kid to their school, but they can visit my living room whenever they want. Other people don't mind that and the curriculum works for them and that's great! But for me, I just don't want anything to do with the public school system.

Packaged curricula aren't an option for us, so we pretty much "wing it." I had a neo-classical education spell and intend to keep the history/science cycle as a guide to loosely follow. I require phonics, writing, and math (all bare bones, low cost, skill targeted). I offer chronological history and the corresponding science subject, but otherwise, let them explore and ask questions and follow their interests. Our materials are a mix of life, books we own, library books, and internet resources (I prescreen these, especially Youtube stuff).

My very pragmatic, free solution to a Christian curriculum is the Bible. It took some training to eradicate the wiggles and I read over breakfast so they're a captive audience, but all in all, they do well. We read 1-3 chapters a day and for the most part, they enjoy it. They prefer the narratives to the epistles and wisdom writings, but the point is exposure and I'm sure they'll live.

I don't know if any of that helped at all, but I hope it did! Either way, I hope you find what suits you and your family with very little stress.