View Single Post
December 8th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Just keep breathing.
I just "revealed" at work on Friday. I have a new boss this year and wanted to wait until after my performance review. I like him a lot, but I'm up for a promotion/raise and was wary of having my pregnancy call that into question. Thankfully he's delighted, very supportive and the promotion is still coming through. So after that, I shared with a few other people, and almost all of them asked me "Was this a surprise, or were you trying?"

I really don't like that question. I don't want to talk about having 3 miscarriages over the past year, and I don't like anyone's interest in what I'm doing with my sex life.

I am also anticipating that question from my in-laws. They don't know- and I'm uncertain whether we'll just show up at Christmas with my belly, or if DH will tell them in advance. We are not close with them, mainly because in the past my FIL was EXTREMELY pushy about us having kids. This was when we were first married, and I spent several years politely deflecting until one day I told him firmly to lay off, that it was none of his business, and if/when it was we'd tell him. (This did not go over well- he is a huge drama queen and the rest of the family indulges him). They do not know about our losses.

The best I can think of is "It wasn't unexpected" or else for more casual, lighthearted inquiries, being kind of wink-wink and saying "Well, you know what happens when a man and woman love eachother very much..."