View Single Post
December 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Everyone tells me that my 5-year-old only child (boy) hitting kids at school is normal. Even if that's true, whatever "normal" is, I want to put a stop to it before it gets worse. Short temper and physical violence unfortunately runs in my family on my dad's side... I feel like I can't just let my child continue this behavior, I think I really need to intervene. I don't think it's just a phase that will pass on its own. I believe the initial thing that brought it on was spankings as punishment. Up until my son was 3 we lived with his Grandpa, my dad. He implemented spanking as punishment when my son was 2 and I didn't have the guts to stick up to my dad and say no, and I even implemented the punishment myself a few different times which I always regretted. I do not believe in any sort of physical violence as punishment and as soon as I moved away from my dad I never spanked my child again. But I think he still learned that physical violence is the answer in that short time living with my dad. I just need to know what to do now to put a stop to and reverse this behavior. Please, if anyone has any good advice to offer me I really appreciate it. Thank you.