Topic: Seton Anyone?
View Single Post
December 16th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Regular
I have two daughters. I started my oldest with Seton in 2nd grade. She attended a Catholic school for Kindergarten and 1st grade and we moved to Virginia and couldn't afford the tuition of a Catholic school in this area. I put her in public school for 5 weeks and pulled her out due to the very easy curriculum. I enrolled her in Seton's program for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade, and currently 7th grade. I enrolled my other daughter in 1st, 2nd, and currently 5th grade. I placed my girls in a private christian school in 3rd and 5th grade, which didn't work out well. I homeschooled last year 4th and 6th grades using the Seton books, but I didn't reenroll them until this year.

I reused the books from my oldest daughter for my 2nd daughter. If you're enrolled in the program Seton will deduct the cost of the books you don't need from the tuition cost. I save around $60 each year. I don't reuse all the books, mainly I reuse the readers, science, history, art, music, and some of the religion and math books.

I feel it is worth the cost to enroll them both into the program. The program covers all the books which is around $200 per student if you purchase them all separately. You get the entire lesson plan for the year which is set up for each quarter and is broken down to what your child should learn each day. You can call Seton for help when you need it. Seton also has online instructional videos. I love the diagramming videos. The library of instructional videos isn't large, but they are adding to it every year. They also provide the CAT test as part of the tuition fee too.

I personally feel that the cost of enrollment is worth it. I paid around $1000 for two children this year, and it would cost me $11,000 to place them in a Catholic school. When you look at the costs of public schools it is also a bargain to use Seton. The public schools in our area charge a book fee each year which can range from $50 to $150 per year depending on the grade. Then you have to buy school supplies which can range from $100 to $200 per year. You also are charged for field trips, which can range from $25 to $100 per year. These are just a few costs from using the public schools. This isn't including the school clothes that I would purchase each year and school/sport activity fees. Public school can become expensive.

When my girls were in 1st to 3rd grade it took around 2 1/2 to 3 hours of work per day and 4th to 5th around 4 hours per day. My oldest daughter has to spend around 5 to 6 hours with her 7th grade studies.

I feel that the girls having a transcript of their progress is good too and part of the Seton program. When my girls graduate from the high school program they will have a transcript and a diploma from an accredited private Catholic school. You can also make your own transcript and diploma if you decide not to use a program. I've known many families that have done that.

I hope that I answered your questions well, and if you have more questions please ask.

Nancy