View Single Post
January 13th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Love the life you live.
I was induced with my daughter because of cholestasis. It was just too dangerous for her to stay in there and while I didn't really want it, I knew it was best. Mine happened a little differently. I went to my OB appt at 38 weeks and was miserable. It was July so it was REALLY hot on top of back pain, etc. The doc must have gotten scared because she said I wasn't leaving without my baby. I was brought up to L&D and because they were busy they gave me the progesterone cream on my cervix overnight and started the pitocin the next morning. It took FOREVER for anything to happen. Finally about 6 hours in, the contractions were coming. Painful but not unmanageable. But they kept upping the dosage, and each time they did, the stronger the contractions became. The nurse was practically begging me to get an epi but I refused. I lost track of time. I remember gripped the rails on the bed, and reminding myself to breathe. At some point I started feeling the urge to push. But pushing was painful so I only pushed a little until I worked up the nerve to just keep pushing- knowing I had to to get through it. Because of my size and my daughter's size I was laid on my back to push because the dr (who was wonderful) was afraid she wouldn't fit under my pubic bone if I didn't. That was like pushing uphill. In the midst of it all I was hemmoraging because of the cholestasis and I didn't know it. I felt it- blood vessels popping down there but I didn't care. I wanted my baby OUT. She was finally born at 10:25pm, all 8lbs 4oz of her and was absolutely perfect.

The most important thing to know about inductions is that ANY time you force your body to do what it isn't quite ready for, it IS a little harder, but it's not unmanageable as long as you are educated and not afraid. Fear is a woman's biggest enemy in birth- induced or not.

Good luck Mama!

Proud mom of 2 beautiful children (and one on the way!), Desiree (3) and Austen (2). Desiree has autism but that just adds to her sparkle.

06/2007 10/2008 ~Gone but not forgotten.~

Software engineering consultant and state autism advocate.