Topic: terrified
View Single Post
January 14th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Love the life you live.
I just wanted to chime in for minute.... I understand your fear of continuing the cycle. I do. I grew up in a very abusive home and was terrified of turning into my mother when I became a mother myself... I just want to reassure you that you don't have to continue the cycle. Your awareness of it shows that you are already one step ahead as most people aren't.

I know things are scary right now. Being a mom isn't easy- but it is the best "job" I've ever had. Not only have I broken the cycle but by being my children the childhood they deserve, in a way, I gave it to myself. It's an amazing journey. I know babies are scary when you haven't had a lot of experience with them- and even if you have, once it is your own, it's still scary. Don't discount your motherly instincts. They will kick in and all you are terrified of now will come naturally to you.

Remember all babies really need is love, food, clean clothes, a safe place to sleep and diapers. They don't need anywhere near as much as the world tells us they do.

Congrats hon. I wish you all the best. Please know that we're here if you need to talk. It's a huge and frightening life change- but in time you will get over the shock and the fear, I promise. (((hugs)))

Proud mom of 2 beautiful children (and one on the way!), Desiree (3) and Austen (2). Desiree has autism but that just adds to her sparkle.

06/2007 10/2008 ~Gone but not forgotten.~

Software engineering consultant and state autism advocate.