View Single Post
January 18th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyes View Post
I tried the Ina May Gaskin material and I wanted to throw it through a wall. There was something that severely grated me the wrong way about how that woman wrote.

And I am not really interested in why people choose natural birth, just techniques. If I could move around with an epidural I would, and if C-Section didn't take so long to recover I might go that route too. I should have been more specific, sorry.

I was looking at the Bradley Method, since I don't like the idea of doulas and my husband is probably more nurturing then most women
What got me interested was research. I stc for 5 years and during that time anything and everything pg related was consumed. Pretty much anything evidence based is more my style actually. For me it is all about the healthiest way to birth. And like you said earlier the experience itself is very exiting to me.

That being said their are not a lot of ways to express this in an uncreunchy way. I found my quest for knowledge took me down the same path my parents went (they were hippies). I eat organic. Recycle... etc. I may not look the part. But I believe in the core principles behind living a healthy lifestyle and having a healthy planet.

I you are looking for just technique... why don't you get skip the other parts of all these books and corses. I mean, you can buy great natural technique courses. Hypnobabies, Hypnobirth, Bradly, Birthing from withing... etc. I have got my hands on as much as possible to soak it in. Some of the techniques may sound hokey or crunchy to you, but they are more about retraining your brain to make a natural birth possible and as easy as it can be. There is no better time to start practicing then as soon as you can. In fact studies show that the more you ready yourself for labor, the easier and faster it is.

Some tips I have seen in most birthing technique books and courses involve:

1. Positive affirmation and visualization. So there are many youtube videos with positive affirmations about birth, if you can stomach them. Or you can make up your own. Visualize what your idea birth would be like. And most importantly read as many POSITIVE birth stories as you can. DO not read or let people tell you negitive birth stories or tell you that you will not be able to do it (just politely tell them you don't want to hear that kind of stuff)... You should practice the positive reinforcement 20 minutes a day.

2. Birth readiment exercises. You can find these on you tube as well. They include squats and such.

3. Drink red raspberry leaf tea everyday after the 1st tri. It helps tone the uterus. And may 2X a day or more closer to you EDD it will give labor a timely kick start.

4. Acupuncture, Acupressure and chiro... Make sure to get alined and adjusted. THis will not only feel great but keep you in optimum alignment for birth.

5. Any relaxation techniques and ques for during labor. But Also practice these in the last 2 months of pg. One is to relax down there, while at the same time picture opening up (like a flower blooming, yes cheesy and "crunchy" I know) while at the same time come up with a phrase that reinforces babies decent. I use "Slide" and picture that scene in fight club with the penguin saying slide and sliding down the ice. A little less crunchy for you?

6. Try to labor alone and in a quite dark place, much like any animal in nature would. If you are disturbed or distracted it may be harder for you to advance and dilate.

7. Use natural pain relief, like a bath or shower.

8. Use/ try out different positions for laboring and pushing until one feel the most productive or right for you.

This is what I have learned so far. I may have missed some. But you get the point. Find as much info as you can, watch home or water births, and just skip anything that doesn't appeal to you.

Last edited by mariahpoo2; January 18th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.