View Single Post
January 21st, 2014, 05:53 PM
Learning to walk in faith
So, dd has never been a "good" sleeper. We've gone through little phases of better or worse, but I can count on one hand the number of times she's slept for more than 6 hours at a time. I mean, I realize that's not abnormal - she's only 5 months old and is ebf - but I feel like she still sleeps almost like a newborn. A lot of people talk about "4 month sleep regression" but I barely noticed anything because our sleep has always been super short.

We've tried everything (with the exception of CIO) - we do a bedtime "routine", dim lights/nightlight in the evening, swaddled/unswaddled, belly sleeping, back sleeping, nurse to sleep, rock to sleep... Co-sleeping stopped working for us around the 2 month mark because she slept so much better on her stomach (but I wasn't comfortable with her belly sleeping in dh and I's bed). I've brought her into bed with me on occasion, though, now that she's a bit bigger and she still doesn't sleep any longer with me than she does in her own space - less so, sometimes, I think because I wake her up if I move.

Anyway... her overall sleep pattern isn't awful. She goes to sleep for the night between midnight and 1 am most nights (I head to bed around midnight), wakes up between 7-9 (and is wired!), stays up for about 1.5-2 hours and then sleeps again for 2-3 hours. It's not great, but it usually gets me a decent stretch. I've tried putting her to bed earlier (7, 8, 9, 10 - whenever she's seemed tired enough) but she only sleeps for an hour or so and is wide awake when I try to rock her back down. So... I bring her back down because I feel like it's better to just let her play on her mat and wear herself out while I hang out with dh than it is to stay up in our room, frustrated in the dark. She goes back to sleep at the same time, anyway.

I would really rather her go to bed a little earlier and not sleep all morning, but anything I've tried to shift her schedule has just backfired on me and made her overtired and miserable. She naps alright, I think - sometimes she takes a long nap and sometimes she takes a lot of short ones. She seems to only be able to stay up for 1-2 hours at a time before she gets sleepy and cranky - the only exception being in the evenings when she pulls 3-4 hour stretches right before "bedtime".

So, I guess my question is... is this all normal? Even at 5 months? Will her schedule fix itself, or should I be doing something? CIO and sleep training isn't for us. I just feel like I'm missing something. Am I? Or is this all normal and I've got weird ideas about 5 month olds and sleep? I am absolutely fine with waiting it out if that's all I need to do - I'm tired, but I know this part will fly by. I just don't want to be making huge mistakes and not know it.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!