View Single Post
February 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Learning to walk in faith
I meant to come back to this. Sorry!

It will depend on your insurance. Mine covered my birth center birth without issue. I never heard a word about it.

CPM/home birth coverage will vary place to place. Depending on what your insurance looks like, many of them end up costing around the same amount as what you'd pay out of pocket for a standard hospital birth. Most midwives' fees include prenatal and postnatal care, too. I've heard some ask for as low as $800, some as high as $5000. It really depends on your area and the specific midwife.

Some insurance providers won't cover any of it, but some will reimburse you after the fact.

Personally, I'm not sure why some are so reluctant to cover birth centers/midwives. The rates of complications and deaths are typically much lower than those in typical hospital settings, and a birth at home also costs A LOT less for the insurance provider than paying for an OB and a hospital bed (and definitely less than the anesthesiologist fee and the cost of epidurals and antibiotics, and I won't even mention how much a typical c-section would cost them on top of that). You would think they would be all over the natural birth options.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!