View Single Post
March 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Veteran
So one of the 15 doctors that deliver (I get whomever is on call when I am in labor) Read my birth plan and sent it to risk management. We went over in detail the specifics of what I want and do not want. Even tho the policies of the hospital go along with all of my wishes the clinic that I am a part of does not. For example if they wish to do an episiotomy they just tell you they are doing it right before they do it. She said they would not respect my wishes on that point and several other of my wishes. Like the IV. All tho I do not want one unless medically necessary and the hospital is okay with that they are not. I HAVE to have one according to their policy. They are NOT willing to let me labor at my own pace within reason. They are NOT willing to give us a choice at all whatsoever if they wish to assist delivery to turn down or choose between forceps or vacuum. And I HAVE to deliver on my back. Basically everything I am against they MUST have me do and I have no choice and little warning if they decide to do something to me. I am so fed up and pissed off. This would basically be my worst nightmare. I understand medical intervention when needed. I understand that I may have need for it. What I don't want or like is their attitude that something will definitely go wrong. She flat out said their was such a dramatic increased risk of still birth at or after 42 weeks that I would have to be induced at 41.5 if I had not going into labor before then, and that goes for everyone and does not have to do with GD. I told her I am well aware that the risk doubles... FROM 1 to 2%. Still birth is such a rare occurrence at that point they really do not know much about it. And she said well it is important that you are not that 2%. I find this scare tactic sick and wrong. OMG... I don't think I will even get to 42 weeks. But I am willing to get induced at 42 weeks. Seriously the risk of major complications from pitocin induced labor are WAY higher the 2% form stillbirth. And that is a quantifiable fact.

I am so sick of the mentality of doctors in this country. I am sure that if you want to be induced, or need to be... fine. But why the hell are they wanting forcing their B S on me when it is unwanted and the math or risk does NOT add up.

She kept saying "routine care", and "our policy dictates".... "ACOG regulation and guidelines"... All that is such B S and most of those guidelines are out dated and had little change over the past 40 years. I want EVIDENCE based care. I want real science. Not just "oh well we do this for everyone". I know there is a very good reason for all interventions. I am prepared to use them if and when medically deemed necessary.

It also turns out they use the drug Cytotec regularly. And were against me stating that I do not want it for any reason beside after labor to save my life in case of hemorrhage. Even then... I looked into it and that is NOT an approved use of this drug. Cytotec is being used WITHOUT FDA permission or approval in labor and delivery. Because it has such high risks involved it is advised to NEVER use it on pregnant woman or post delivery bleeds. Because it has very real and very dangerous side effects like DEATH. But ACOG still permits it. And so she was very aggressive in her "persuasion" about me being willing to use it for cervix softening. I told her I would NEVER consent to that drug. Why is she so pushy! She actually said "so you would rather die and leave you child motherless then use that drug?" SERIOUSLY! ***... that is abuse of power and position. I don't care who you are you should never emotionally traumatize a pregnant woman to get what you want. They like using the drug because it is cheep and fast acting. They don't care about risks and dangers.

This all really upset me. There was much more to it. But this left me little time to find a replacement. I did end up finding a midwife that would take me short notice, and I still get to deliver at the very awesome "certified baby friendly"hospital birthing suit that we have picked out.

I am super happy with my new Midwife. She read my plan and has no problems with it whatsoever. She also looked over my sugar levels and said they were so good that she is going to treat me as tho I don't have GD at all. I am super controlled with just diet. YAY!