View Single Post
March 24th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I'm not new to JM but new to this board. So hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me. FPIES is Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome.
My 7 month old does not tolerate rice or oatmeal. She's had it on 3 occasions and each time she vomited violently starting 2 hours later until her stomach is empty and she has diarrhea for a couple of days after. The first 2 times I thought it was a stomach bug but then realized it wasn't after the third time. She's a healthy breast fed baby, 50th percentile in height and weight. She had her 6th month check up today (had to reschedule twice due to fever) and her doctor thinks it's celiac disease but doesn't want to do anything about it until a year. Rice doesn't even contain gluten! Ugh. He hadn't heard of FPIES and didn't seem to care. He just said to keep trying every month or so and if she was still having these issues at 1 year when it's time to wean her that we will do blood work. I'm concerned that she is going to have this reaction to other foods. She doesn't really like food anyway. Sometimes she will eat a few bites of banana or chew on a whole green bean but that's about all I can get her to eat, oh and mashed potatoes. I've read about awful reactions requiring hospital stays and that if rice is a trigger that it's common for many other foods to be a trigger as well. Nothing I eat has caused her to have a reaction so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Does anyone have any tips? Suggestions? I'm thinking of getting a second opinion. I'm not certain she has it obviously but it seems that it's likely.