View Single Post
March 24th, 2014, 09:22 PM
frequent flier
I am going to chime in here again with another book recommendation. It is called "Ain't Misbehavin': Tactics for Tantrums, Meltdowns, Bedtime Blues and Other Perfectly Normal Kid Behaviors" by Alyson Schafer. Ain't Misbehavin': Tactics for Tantrums, Meltdowns, Bedtime Blues and Other Perfectly Normal Kid Behaviors: Alyson Schafer: 9780470679098: Amazon.com: Books I am reading it right now, and I think that I like it even better than Love and Logic. What I like best about it is that it is very accessible and easy to use. The table of contents has an extensive list of common kid misbehaviors, and then for each there is a section that discusses (a) the probably reasons for the misbehavior, and, (b) several tactics for addressing them. All of the tactics come from a philosophy of 'democratic parenting' which involves addressing the cause of the misbehavior and working towards problem-solving rather than using punishments and rewards as a knee-jerk reaction. Each section is really short and easy to read, which is extremely helpful, since I'm often reading the sections in-between dealing with other kid-related issues. Also, I like that for each issue they list several different possible solutions, as in, "If this doesn't work, then try this...." Often I find that I need more than just one recommendation in order to problem solve effectively! I highly recommend you check this out from your library -- it's worth a try, anyway.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)