View Single Post
April 30th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post
Lucy and Reagan have it. There are no controlled studies. None. Not a single one. There can't be any studies because then the researchers would be intentionally causing birth defects.

Every FAS study out there relies on self reporting, and what mother is going to say "I went out binge drinking every weekend"?? Many people don't even know they are pregnant until they are 7 or 8 weeks along, and they carry on their normal drinking habits until then.
As stated, the only way to be 1,000 percent sure that your baby won't have FAS is to have no alcohol. But if one dose of Nyquil (25% alcohol by volume, so far less than a single serving of alcohol) can cause "full blown FAS" then every baby born in the 50's and 60's would have FAS because it was normal to drink (and smoke) during pregnancy!

Am I of the opinion that pregnant women should "go drink whatever they want"? No, of course not. However, there are entire cultures that drink lightly during pregnancy and if half an ounce of alcohol could cause full blown FAS, then there would be entire generations of children affected by the disease. And there aren't.

Like a lot of things in this country involving pregnancy, it's an all-or-none attitude. Like the listeria hysteria - you are just as likely to get listeria from your salad as from your sandwich. My friend's OB is Japanese, and he was surprised when she asked about eating sushi; according to her he said "why wouldn't you eat sushi?" Some doctors say not to worry about every little thing, some doctors have an iron clad list of "never ever ever touch these things, EVER."

What MOST important is that you make informed decisions that are best for you, so that you are comfortable with your safety and the safety of your baby.

Very well said!!!