View Single Post
May 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Due in Sept 2014
I know I should probably just be thankful that my pregnancy is going well (aside from all the first tri bleeding), but the last few days have really sucked. I won't be annoyed if you don't read this veritable book, I just need to get it off my chest. Having a very hard time coping.

At about 3 a.m. on Sunday (DH works late shift, so that is often our bedtime), I noticed that our older cat had yellow skin in his ears and on his lips. Well, jaundice is awful bad no-good news, so off we went to the emergency vet. They kept him stable, but couldn't do much diagnostically.

So this morning I moved him from the e-vet to our new regular vet. Who, as it turns out, also couldn't do much diagnostically. So I packed him up with his IV fluids, and drove two hours to our old vet for an ultrasound.

The ultrasound was also not definitive. They didn't see any tumors or masses, but his pancreas and liver were both enlarged. The vet's guess is severe pancreatitis concurrent with hepatitis. Tomorrow he gets a liver biopsy to rule out cancer. Neither of those diagnoses have a good prognosis, though he has a small chance with all but certain types of cancer.

I adore this cat. He's so laid back and affectionate. When we first started TTC, DH and I joked that both of our older male cats would love the baby, but in different ways. Well, 2 years ago we lost our other older male cat to lung cancer (I'd had him since middle school). I can't imagine losing our other old man cat before ever getting to see him interact with the baby (not to mention the effect this could have on my already dysthymic husband, this is his childhood cat). This is killing me. And the pregnancy hormones are making me particularly weepy, which isn't helping.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven