View Single Post
May 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
First off, Hi

Second, just wanted to say that you are a great Mama to really think about what will be best for your kids and try to make that happen!

Homeschooling is wonderful, but it is not for everyone. Only you can decide if it will work for your family. If you are not sure that you will be doing it long term, perhaps enrolling the boys in a charter/umbrella school like K12 would work. They send you the materials, your kids do the work at home, and you send reports to the teachers at K12.

If you do decide to homeschool, there are many, many ways to go about it. Some go with an easy to teach, already prepared curriculum. Others spend many hours pulling together resources and making their own curriculum. Either one works fine!

My oldest (finishing 1st grade) also has ADHD, and it is incredibly hard to keep her focused! In order for her to stay on task and not bothering her brother, I need to sit with her constantly and talk her through the work. She's incredibly bright and can handle the work with no problem, but she has to work very hard to stay focused.

As for curriculum, my favorite site to browse options is Rainbow Resource: Home - Rainbow Resource Center, Inc.
As you will see, you can browse by subject down the left side of the page. They have an incredible selection of programs and resources.

As for cost, that varies on what you choose to do. I plan to spend about $500-600 per year per child. Usually less for the 2nd and 3rd, as the resources can be used over again.

Well, I know I can't answer all your questions, but I hope that helped some! Again, welcome!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.