View Single Post
May 10th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I have an 8 year old daughter, Moyra, who has ADHD and auditory dyslexia. The last few months have been hard, with a lot of changes. She has always been somewhat disrespectful, because she just doesn't hear the difference (this is not an excuse, it is fact because of the auditory dyslexia). Recently she has become more so, and more directly including yelling at the adults taking care of her and flat refusing to do as she is told. I don't know what to do. For other issues we have a short phrase or single word to remind her, things like "parking lot rules," "tunnel" for focusing, and "walking feet." She has even started lying to me, which is new. My husband has to call me at work occasionally to talk her into doing as she is told. She says she forgets rules like not digging holes in the back yard or playing with the hose. I don't know what to do. If she can't remember these rules, we can't let her be by herself at all. Not even to be in her bedroom or the back yard or the bathroom. None of us can live that way. i have no ideas. Time outs don't work for getting her to remember the rules. Counting only works if we are there with her every minute of every day. She can't read because of the dyslexia, so we can't give her a written list of rules. I can't figure out pictures for all of the rules. How do you put an image with not lying or being respectful? any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I'm at a loss, and almost at my wits end. I'm thinking of therapy, but I don't know if there are any good child psychologists with experience with ADHD in the area. She is on Vyvanse and Strattera. They help, but this new behavior I don't think can be fixed by medication. Any ideas for words or phrases to remind her of these rules? And what do I do about her forgetting the rules when she doesn't have an adult to stand over her shoulder to remind her constantly?