View Single Post
June 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanesgirls View Post
hey there, i had a 4th tear with my first as well, and as you know, recovery was AWFUL. i didn't have to have any further surgery, so i can only imagine how bad it was for you

i had a scheduled c-section with my second (which was good, she was 10lbs!) and i will be having another c-section with this baby (in december). i can say honestly, i was terrified before hand, but afterwards (and during really) i was thrilled with what an amazing experience it was compared to birth #1. i don' think anyone that hasn't had major tearing after birth can really appreciate how awful it is.

so to answer your questions (and feel free to message me if you want to talk more! it's so nice to find peopel that have been through similar situations...)

1. Were you sick with fear beforehand?
Like I said, terrified. I have a fear of throwing up, so I made sure I talked with the anethesia woman about medicine she could add if I felt sick. She was great and talked me through everything. I found that while I was lying down and just waiting it helped to keep talking to my husband- I also remember moving my hands and tapping my fingers together constantly just to make sure I could still feel my body and breathe!

2. What was recovery like for you?
I know that when I came home from the hospital (4 days later) I felt pretty decent, though I was still on meds. By the time I was home a week I was off meds and the major pain was gone, though I still was very careful going up and down stairs and picking things up. Though the recovery could be painful, it was nothing like the long drawn out recovery from the tear. I would say the c-section was a bit more intense but for a much shorter time.

3. Is there anything you can do to help healing along?
Yes. WALK WALK WALK. You're going to look at them like they're crazy when they tell you to sit up and swing your legs over the side of the bed when you feel like you'll never move again, but it helps. Each time you get out of bed it's easier and easier.
I've also heard that each night you're in the hospital, trying to lay your bed a little flatter so that you get used to sleeping in a "normal" bed like you have at home. I didn't do that and I got used to sleeping sitting up which was more difficult at home.

Easier said than done, especially when it's so new, but try to relax. Having been through both types of birth, I have no qualms about this next c-section while the thought of a vaginal birth sends me into an anxiety attack! The thing I'm most dreading is the antacid drink they give you beforehand, which is kind of ridiculous, cause it's harmless!

Good luck, let me know if you want any other info,
Ally
Thanks for this Ally!! It is definately nice to hear from someone who has gone through something similar with their vaginal delivery and then a c-section. Your response was very reassuring. THANK YOU! Next Friday June 20th is the big day, ready to get it over with!