View Single Post
June 25th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Due in Sept 2014
The reason for the warning against bringing a new cat or kitten into the house while you are pregnant is indeed because of toxoplasmosis. While toxo isn't really an issue with indoor cats, often the newly brought home cat might have spent some time outdoors before coming home with you. Does that make sense?

For example, we have 3 cats. 2 are older, and we've had for years. Our newest found me at a gas station last September as a horribly underweight, flea-covered 4-5 week old. When I first got pregnant, I stopped changing litter and got a little more intense about cat hygiene. Our doc was not at all worried about our older two cats, but she was concerned that the kitten might have toxo from her time before us. I ended up opting to get tested for it at my first blood test (it was negative).

As it turns out, when a cat gets toxo, they will only infect others for about a month. After that, they are immune to getting it again. Since I tested negative, and none of the kitties have been outside since Yoshi came home in September, I'm not worried about it anymore. If you are still nervous (or bring home a formerly outdoor cat), be extra careful during their first month home. Scoop cat litter every day (since it takes a day for the bad stuff in their poop to become able to infect you). Wash your hands afterward, and don't eat it. Even better, use it as an excuse to get your guy to do it for you. The risk is truly very small if you follow those guidelines.

Also, you live in the US, right? Toxo is much more common in Europe than it is here. Hence why I've had 4 cats and fostered many others, but still don't toxo.

Lastly, I'm just going to chime in from the opposite direction. I personally have not found cats to be difficult keepers at all. This far along in our pregnancies, I would probably advise against a new puppy, but kittens (or an older cat) are much more independent. You have to set boundaries and be consistent, but they are very adaptable. You just have to figure out whether you really want a cat, or you are dying to have a baby to nurture. Try fostering a cat or kitten for a local rescue group or shelter if you've never had one before. Then you get the experience of having a cat, without the commitment (and if you fall in love, you can always adopt said foster!). I wouldn't worry about the danger of a cat suffocating a baby, though no pet needs to be left unsupervised with a baby. Pillows and crib bumpers are much more likely to cause problems than a cat.
Cats kill babies? Bunk, experts say - Houston Chronicle
Busting a myth: Do cats kill babies? - Federal Way Mirror

</endbook>

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm not even a big cat person. Dogs are more my speed. DH is the one who has said he'd love to run a cat sanctuary someday.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven

Last edited by Caerus; June 25th, 2014 at 05:49 PM.