Topic: Scared
View Single Post
June 26th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran
Hi Everyone,

I am 28 weeks pregnant with baby #3. I have been having frequent BH contractions since 16 weeks but they have not been effecting my cervix so my doctor hasn't been worried. My doc has been checking my cervix at each appointment to make sure. I went in 2 weeks ago at 26 weeks and my cervix was 3.5 cm. Today (2 weeks later), my cervix is 2.5 cm. My doctor did some king of a swab of my cervix to test if a certain chemical was being released which indicates preterm labor. He said if the test comes back negative, there is a 99% chance that I will not go into labor in the next 2 weeks. I will find out this result tomorrow. Fingers crossed! He said if this test is positive and/or when I go back in 2 more weeks, if my cervix is even shorter, then we would need to consider other options to prevent preterm labor. I'm freaking out. I carried my first 2 children to term with no complications. He said the difference in cervix length could just be human error since one doctor measured 2 weeks ago and a different doctor measured today. He also said that it is not an exact science since they are just measuring with an internal exam, not with a sonogram. He also said that after having a few vaginal births, your cervix will often be shorter and partially dialated anyway. I'm very scared. I will update tomorrow with the test results when I get them.