View Single Post
October 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's an awesome example of modern medical science that in theory we can have fetuses so young that they survive as babies. I think it's wonderful for us all to have these opportunties.. I respect where Kady and Sara are coming from... I wish I just agree 100%, but I can't.

A question for people who say a baby is not a baby until born

I think I would be a person who says a fetus isn't a baby until it's born. Why? Because it's developing. There are no guarentees to life until it is born. My body is mine. If I choose to share it, that's my choice.[/b]

What about those who would say that even being born doesn't guarantee life? Some babies die within hours of birth. Some die within days/weeks/months.

Here are some numbers I found:

At 25 weeks there is a 60% chance of survival if born. The fetus is considered legally viable at 28 weeks and there is a 90% chance of survival if born at this point.
Weeks 29 32..........At this point there the survival rate is above 95% if the baby is born.
Source: http://www.wprc.org/trimester3.phtml

Those numbers seem pretty high to me. I can't find numbers on chances of survival for full term babies only, but in the US for every 1000 live births, there are 6.9 deaths.
[/b]
I don't understand your question.. The bottom line is there are stillbirths and full term miscarriages that happen.. There are no guarentees.
[/b]
I forgot about this thread, and my mind isn't working too great, so I'm not even understanding any of it.

I think my point to my question though was : Even after being born, a baby has no guarantees to life. I was just trying to add to the debate and didn't do so well. I'm trying very hard to explain but I just can't get the words out right, so I'll just say forget about my question because I can't explain what I mean.