View Single Post
October 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I decided after lots of reading and lots of observation in the hospital I worked in. Education should be (IMHO) a high priority to homebirthers.

I've posted all over the place about my DH, but my side of the family is a big source of support too. My mom even lurks on an unassisted birth board now (which is, in itself too funny). My husbands family is a different story but I appreciate them all the same.

Support from my side came after a looooooong conversation with my mom. She would ask me hard questions about what I would do if we had a problem with post partum hemorrhage, what if the baby was breech, what if I passed out, what if my DH passed out, and when she had thought up every situation she could and I could answer every question she had, she said, look this is unfamiliar territory for me but you've done your homework and you know how to handle tough situations and if this is really what you want I'll support you completely, but I will always play devil advocate and ask you hard questions to make sure. And where my mom supports me my dad follows suit.

My inlaws ask me all the hard questions and I answer them, and I love that because their lack of support means I have to know my stuff and in a way that's just as valuable as any encouragement from my family.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler